The Jakovali-Hassan Mosque (Dzsami)
In the 1500s Hungary was under Turkish occupation for 143 years. During this time the Turks tried to give the towns of Hungary an oriental face lift. The Jakovali-Hassan Mosque is a good example of this transformation. Today it is one of the symbols of the town, located in the centre on the main square called the Széchenyi square. It was built by Pasha Qasim the Victorious between 1543 and 1546. The mosque was converted into a church in 1702, after the Habsburg-Hungarian troops liberated the city. The minaret was brought down by the Jesuits in 1766. It is the largest Turkish buildings that remains in Hungary. It harbours the characteristics of Turkish architecture.
Photographs courtesy of Zsolt Brém